Friday, October 5, 2012

Week 3 - A few things you may not have known about Uganda

So lots of new things this week: Ugandan concerts, Ugandan rainstorms, Ugandan plants, Ugandan language, and the BIG MOVE.

Passion Kampala: Chris Tomlin Concert
Last Saturday I was super excited to be able to attend the Chris Tomlin concert here in Kampala. It was so amazing to be able to worship alongside of thousands of Ugandans. Louie Giglio shared about being part of God's symphony worshiping him. All and all it was a great night! One of the big differences I noticed between here and home was the lack of cameras and phones glowing up ahead of me... that is the staple at home as everyone catches a picture or a video, but there was none of that here! 
New friends at the concert - Sarah, Rebekah (visiting a friend here), Julie, and Erin
Not the best picture, but I had to add a concert photo
African Rainstorms
My attempt at capturing the rain
Words cannot do justice to rainy season. Every day at least one LARGE storm comes rumbling through. In a matter of minutes everything is soaked and the streets become partial rivers. This pictures does not capture it, but it had rained for less than 5 minutes at this point and you can see how soaked the ground is. Everyone hides under anything they can when it rains... and if it rains during your commute to work, you generally are excused for being late if you stop to hide from the rain. 

Ugandan Plants
We were in the market the other day and there were all these funny looking berries drying out in the sun. I learned that they were coffee beans! I have now seen a coffee bush, mango tree, avocado tree, and guava tree!!! I LOVE the fresh fruit here. And as a plug for Uganda... their pineapples are better than Hawaii's!!!
One of the missionary kids in front of a coffee bush
Luganda Training
So I can now officially use about 15 phrases in Luganda after my 6 days of training. The great part about using the LAMP method for language training is it teaches you how to learn the language on your own with the help of those around you. My goal is to learn a new phrase 5 days a week! (Be praying that I will stick to that!)  I am so thankful that God blessed me with Jessica for my language helper. She is so incredibly patient!!
Those of us in language training and our language helpers (Jessica is to my right)
I am officially living in Kireka where I will be working!
Just this afternoon I moved in to Kireka where I will be working. I have a nice little flat, and still have a little unpacking to do. I have lots to learn here so please be praying for me and that I will be able to build some relationships quickly. The only down side to living where I am working is that the kids like to look in my windows! Please be praying that I will quickly get use to that! I have no pictures of my place yet, but I promise there will be some next week!I am very thankful to be where God wants me and am so thankful to be in his hands. Please pray that I will have a willing and open spirit to however God wants to use me here.