Friday, October 12, 2012

Kireka School & 50 years of Independence

This week has been my first week at Kireka Home & School. I spent last weekend just trying to get settled in and meeting my new neighbors. Next door to me is the headmaster and she has 3 girls between about 17 & 23 (not quite sure) living with her. The girls befriended me right away, and I am so incredibly thankful! The children here are amazing, their smiles and laughter can brighten anyone's day. The girl in the picture below has already started to steal my heart! She has the most brilliant smile and speaks English very well.
Sumaya & Me
I do still feel as if I live in a fish bowl, but I am getting use to having the kids around all the time. The ones that initially drove me crazy, I am starting to understand and love (and he has not tried to come into my house in awhile which helps!) Kireka is starting to feel like home. Today I will finish up my last day of observing the kids to determine who needs physiotherapy, and then next week will start the crazy process of trying to evaluate the gross motor and fine motor skills of more than 20 kids! (LOTS OF WORK!) Normally, and occupational therapist would work more with the fine motor skills, but since there is not one here, I am will do my best!

My Flat
My bedroom
My cooking area (as you can see blends into living space) and there is a sink outside
Living Space - I am so excited to go to the fabric marked this weekend and my neighbors are going to help me recover the couch and pillows!
Bathroom complete with shower, sink (with no drain just a bucket :) ) and toilet that flushes!

The Market - Buying a Chicken
So my neighbors have been so friendly and have taken me to the market near the school a few times. The first time, I did not realize quite the adventure that I was on as we went to buy a chicken! When you buy a chicken here a lady takes the LIVE chickens out of a crate and you hold them by their wings to "weigh" them. And did I mention it smells horrible! So my friends were each holding 2 chickens to determine which one was the best. Oh and did I mention that the chickens do not just willing let you hold them, the flap around and squawk and feathers fly! After determining which one weighs the most they then tie the feet together and just stick the hole chicken in a bag... yep...and no it does not suffocate on the way home! However, it remains very calm in the bag! They then cut the head off, pluck it, cut it up and you have fresh chicken for dinner!!! It was an interesting adventure!
My new friend Judith & I in the Market
Uganda has now been Independent for 50 years!
Tuesday marked Uganda's 50th year of independence. Most everyone was very excited and the city was decorated with flags everywhere! We celebrated by watching the festivities in town on TV and the children were excited because not only did they get the day off, but they also got to eat meat! (A rare thing because it is so expensive) We then went out to the headmaster (Teacher Annette)'s garden and to visit her mom in the village. It was a very busy but wonderful day!