Friday, October 26, 2012

Meet some of the Kids!


Hello all! This week was the beginning of full physical therapy sessions! Scratch that.... almost full a week :) Today is a holiday, apparently it is Eid al-Adha, a Muslim holiday.

Girls Night
Saturday night I had my neighbors over for a movie night complete with popcorn (which I burned horribly) and nail painting! We watched the movie "She's the Man", which they found hilarious, but I kept trying to remind them that the movie did not portray actual life in America! We had lots of fun!
Girls Night! :)
Meet Sumaya
So technically you met her 2 weeks ago. (She is the little girl that stole my heart as soon as I got here). She is a 12 year old with spastic quadriplegic cerebral palsy. She has very little use of her arms, BUT she can do amazing things with her mouth! In the picture below she is coloring using her teeth to hold the crayon! (We do rinse her mouth out after, because the crayon dyes her tongue!) She also eats by just sticking her face in the bowl... while this may not sound impressive to you... BUT she NEVER gets food on her face! She has one of the cleanest faces when she leaves the dining hall! She is such a sweet heart and has AMAZING English skills. She is so bright, and has the most beautiful smile, so you have to love her! :)
Sumaya coloring
Meet Kato
Kato is a 17 year old boy. He is a twin, and in Luganda Kato means twin and distinguishes if he was the first or second born! (I dont remember which ) He also has spastic quadriplegic cerebral palsy. This boy is so sweet and communicates so well although he has very little use of his body. He can use his hands to feed himself, but that is about it. Today I took him out of this wheelchair and put him on the mat to work on his back strength. All he can do is lay there, he has very little muscle mass in his legs and trunk. He is very funny though! He stashes food in the pocket of his school uniform, so when he moves on to the mat for therapy all his food comes falling out. Early this week it was peanuts (ground nuts here) and today it was popcorn. After therapy I have to collect his food off the floor and return it to his pocket! In the picture below we are working on his fine motor skills. He was very proud of the picture he made with pegs. Thanks Michelle for sending the peg game with me, many of the kids love it!
Kato so proud of his accomplishment! Putting these pegs together is very difficult for him.
Meet Clare
So apparently this week, I am introducing all of the kids with cerebral palsy! (That just happened to be the day I had my camera with me). Clare is a young girl that also has quadriplegic cerebral palsy, although she has a little more use of her arms and legs than the two above! Clare does not use a wheelchair to move around, but often falls while she is walking, or has to stop and rest. In the picture below we are working on standing and reaching for a puzzle piece. Thanks to Julia Foster and the Park Moms for these great puzzles (the kids AND teachers LOVE them) and all the other wonderful supplies!
Working on her puzzle (I think she is sitting here because I am not behind her to force her to keep standing)
Meet Maria
Maria also has cerebral palsy, but hers is athetoid type. Athetoid type means that her body she wiggles and wiggles and she has no control over it. She is such a sweet girl and loves to laugh! I do not know too much of her history. My goal for this week is to get into the office and learn more about where each of these kids come from and how long they have been at the school.
Maria & me
Maria trying to stand by holding on to the chair and her teacher

Please pray for these kids. Therapy is not always the most fun thing, and yet most of them come with a smile on their face! Pray that through therapy God's love can be shown to them! My hope is that each one will know that they are too made in the image of God and he loves all of us just as we are.

On a completely different note, here are pictures of my newly recovered couch thanks to my amazing neighbor!!! These pictures are specifically for Katy B who made fun of my couch before!

Couch Before
Couch Now
Well, I think that is it for this week! If you want to hear about something specific on my blog, please just email me!