Thursday, November 1, 2012

A Few Random Happenings

So no real funny stories this week - just a bunch of random things, so just read what you want and thanks for reading! :)

THANKS FOR THE MAIL!
I finally was able to pick up my mail this weekend and was so encouraged by the stack that I had! Thank you all for sending me mail! It makes me smile AND fills my empty white walls!
Cows in the Road
Just wanted you all to know that even though I technically live within the capitol city of Uganda, there are still cows that frequently block the road! (More on the outskirts of Kampala than downtown) But still.... I would love to see how Chicago drivers handle that!
Traditional Ugandan Dress
So for anything formal in Uganda, one is suppose to wear one of these traditional dresses below! Phiona (Andrew Sisson's fiance) just informed me that I will need to wear one to their introduction ceremony next month! I am very excited and yet a little nervous that it will not look as nice on me!
My neighbor - Christine - modeling one that she made for a friend... I will be recruiting her too!
One of my new favorite children (yes I realize my number of favorite children grows everyday) - Meet Shimri
So Shimri is a young child with Down Syndrome, and his hugs and smiles just melt my heart! He can be quite shy, so it took him awhile to warm up to me, but now he hugs me first thing in the morning and holds my hand to walk with me when he can! I wish you could all meet him!!!! I just love him to pieces already! The other day I was walking back to the school, and he was standing on top of the slide on the corner of the compound looking out. Well yesterday, I realized that this is his usual spot. From on top of the slide he can see the building they are working on a couple lots away, the main road to Jinja, the hills around us, and all the stores on our street! It is such a good spot! Unfortunately for me though he does well with all of this gross motor skills, so he is not one I see in therapy.
Shimri (How could you NOT love that face!)
Shimri in his spot on top of the slide
Some of the neighborhood children
There are many other small flats on the school compound where other teachers live as well. Their children are so sweet and constantly wanting to play! Yesterday, I pulled out bubbles, and the screams of delight when I was able to make bubbles (they arent the best ones in the world) were hilarious. They even would follow the bubbles around the buildings as they floated up into the air. I will leave you this week with a couple pictures of them.
(Still working on this ones name...)
Desire
John (this boy might be the politest, best behaved child I have ever met!)
Miss you all!