Thursday, November 8, 2012

A Hard Week by the Children are still Beautiful!

First of all, I want start this week's post by saying GOD IS GOOD! I cannot believe how good he has been to me in my transition here to Uganda. I don't know if I have ever seen God's goodness quite as clearly as I have here!

That being said this was probably my hardest week here so far. It was one of those weeks (that I knew would come) where I just got frustrated with the culture and wish I could change so much of it. I know that is not the right view... but sometimes the culture is just so different from my performance and productivity driven American culture that it can be quite frustrating. That being said, please pray that I will quickly adapt to accepting this culture in that way! One nice thing about serving our God is the ability to go to him with anything. When I had enough by in the middle of the day Wednesday, I decided I needed to go home and spend some time in the word.... and this is where my devotions were, "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God" - 2 Corinthians 1:3-4. I love when God gives me exactly what I need to hear.

This week was also difficult in that I found out on Monday that I had to have an interview for my physiotherapy license on Thursday. I had no idea how to prepare and was just told to expect a 30 minute oral interview about my education and experience.... Well 3.5 hours later I left after a 60 minute written examination and then the 40 minute oral interview about my education. Most of the questions were not difficult except I was asked who is in charge of health care in the United States (of which I had no idea) and then being instructed that it is necessary that I know that in Uganda. Please pray that I passed. I should find out Monday.

AND then I came home from my long interview to find my apartment had flooded due to the large amount of rain that came down while I was gone..... It was a long day. I am so thankful for my amazing neighbors... One came over to help me mop out my house and wash my floors and another brought me lunch. Then my neighbor made me tea :) I am so blessed by them. But needless to say it was a long week and please pray that next week goes a little more smoothly.

Sorry this is getting to be a long post without pictures, so I will introduce you to 3 more children.

Meet Teddy
Teddy is in her mid 30's and was one of the original students at Kireka Home. Teddy is an orphan and is technically employed by the school to help with cleaning. She still attends classes in her free time to work on her math and tailoring skills. Teddy is my wonderful friend that I pay each week to wash my clothes by hand. She has very limited use of her right hand for writing and fine motor skills, but she can cook and wash clothes. FAR better than I have mastered thus far!
Teddy
Meet Silas (said Cyrus)
So Silas is earning a very special place in my heart. He is autistic and it is very rare that he is ever sitting still. Silas can be quite draining as he constantly is coming into the therapy room and I am constantly dragging him out kicking and screaming (literally). While he frequently tends to bother the other children, whenever he is around and not bothering him they always hit him and drive him away. When he goes home he is not given enough food to eat and is frequently beaten. He then wonders around his village only to be beaten by his neighbors for stealing food. No one understands that he is autistic. I have come to realize that he knows that I will not beat him and that is why he follows me around. It is hard to describe him at the school and how much trouble he causes. But at the end of the day he is an incredibly sweet boy!
Silas
Silas dancing with my neighbor Christine
Meet Suzan
This girl also warms my heart and I am sorry I have not shared her with you sooner! This is her first term at Kireka home and she likes to be everywhere except in class! Like Silas she is also autistic and has a hard time expressing herself verbally. However, any time she sees me she squeals with delight and runs to be and gives me the biggest hug. Even if my arms are completely full she will wrap her little arms around my waist.
Suzan
My attempt at smuggling her trying to get her to look at the camera with me... for the record she is laughing here!
Well, if you have made it to the bottom of the long post I owe you a thank you for reading! I cannot say enough how much I appreciate all of your support!