Friday, September 28, 2012

Oli otya (Greeting in Luganda)

Lots of things have happened this week, so I will let you pick and choose what you would like read about :)

Retreat at Garuga Beach Resort

I was able to attend the Kampala Unit retreat this weekend. It was at a nice little resort on the edge of Lake Victoria. We studied John 15 and abiding in Christ. It was very fun to meet other AIM missionaries and hear about how God is using them. The only downside is I got sick for 24 hours and missed most of a whole day :(
The Pool at Garuga Resort
View of Lake Victoria from the Resort
Visiting Kireka School (where I will be working)
We took the day on Monday to drive to Kireka where I will be working and living. It was a very difficult and yet exciting experience. It is hard to describe the school, but the children are so friendly! We were instantly greeted when we arrived. Everyone is so excited for me to come and made sure that I knew they could not wait for me to move there. After I left, I felt very re-assured that Kireka is where God has called me to be for this time. There is a great need for a physical therapist at the school.

American Food!!!!!!!!!! :)
Not to far from the Kireka School is a restaurant called Cafe Java. They have LOTS of American food on their menu! I was so excited because I had a greek salad wrap - complete with FETA CHEESE! To say that I was ecstatic is an understatement. Eating lunch for $7 blew my food budget for the day, but super worth it!
So excited for American food that I took a picture of the menu
SOOOOOO EXCITED!

Ladies Night with Mercy for Mamas
On Tuesday night the AIM ladies were invited to a women's night for all of the ladies that are volunteering in Kampala. (Over 60 women were there!) It was such a blessing to hear what other ladies are doing and how committed they are to serve in Uganda. We also had an amazing time of worship over looking the city lights of Kampala. They even brought goodie bags for all of us with fun stuff from the States! The women's night was organized by a group of ladies from the organization Mercy for Mamas. (www.mercyformamas.com) They help provide "Mama Kits" to pregnant mothers. The kit includes all necessary items to have your baby in a sterile environment at home. Uganda has a very high death rate with child bearing, and they are hoping to help decrease that.
 

Language Training
For the last 4 days I have been learning the LAMP technique for learning language. We discuss techniques for learning language in the morning and then go for about an hour walk in the neighborhood to practice what we learned the day before. In the afternoon we meet with our personal language helpers to practice the phrases we are suppose to learn. It is a great way to learn Luganda. On top of that it has been a great introduction into the community - we have visited many different shops. Today we talked with gentleman who makes African drums!