Friday, September 21, 2012

Week 1 - Part 2: Boda Bodas

So I made it to Uganda! The place where I am staying is called the Matoke Inn and it is just to the south of Kampala. Part of the focus this week has been to get registered as a "physiotherapist" here and to learn how to get around on public transportation in Uganda.
Matoke Inn Sign
Lesson 1 this Week: Figuring out Public Transportation
There are 2 main forms of public transportation here. First, there are the public taxis. They are large vans that they put 14ish people in and they stop as needed along the side of the road. If the taxi is full, it is actually nice because you do not stop as much looking for more passengers. The other form of public transportation is boda bodas. These are small motorcycles that you ride on the back of. The real impressive part is the Ugandan women ride side saddle in their skirts!
Some of the boda drivers that drive us down the hill from the Matoke Inn to the main road to catch the taxi
Lesson 2: The Capitol
Living in Chicago for the past 3 years you would think would prepare me somewhat for venturing into Kampala. However, I don't think anything could prepare me for how busy and chaotic it was there. Thankfully, I was with some wonderful Ugandan women who took very good care of me. Below is a picture of the market downtown Kampala. You cannot tell but all along the edges are open shops and the center is where you catch a taxi.... it just takes a while to get out.
Taxis at the Market
Lesson 3: Food Courts
When you go to a food court here, you sit down and a server from each restaurant brings you a menu. However, bringing you a menu is not all they do, they continually try to get you to look at their menu, and pointing things out on it. This isn't so bad in itself except that 5 or more people are doing this at the same time! It was a little overwhelming, but we were satisfied with our food!

Lesson 4: Money
This lesson isn't as entertaining, but I am really struggling to figure out money. I am so use to not carrying cash and just using my credit card. Here, many places do not accept credit cards so I have to have cash, plus I am constantly trying to convert from thousands of shillings into dollars to understand how much money I have..... Interesting!

In the market in Kampala: Andrea on the left is an optomotrist from New Zealand, Rhona is our Ugandan tour guide for the day! (she was SO patient!)
View of houses on the edge of Kampala

While all these experiences seem very different and interesting, they are in no way bad different, just an adjustment. The country here is so beautiful and the people are so friendly and have such beautiful smiles! I am so thankful that God has brought me here for this time, and I am excited to see how He is at work among the people of Uganda!