Friday, July 5, 2013

Katalemwa

Katalemwa sounds like a fancy place doesn't it??? It actually is called "Katalemwa Cheshire Home for Rehabilitative Services" - now that you see its mouthful of a name I am sure you understand why we just say Katalemwa! 

When I first started at Kireka Home I visited Katalemwa in order to try to build a relationship with a physical therapist there in case I ever had any questions. Well.... that never really happened, but I did build great relationships with the volunteer PT, many orthotists, and the accounting department! The kids at Kireka Home get so excited whenever I tell them we are going to go to Katalemwa. For the kids it is a road trip from school that usually includes me giving them juice and biscuits as a snack (something that is rare to get at school) and this week even a chapati (the most yummy Ugandan snack ever!!)

We have visited Katalemwa for walking frames, wheelchair repairs, wheelchair cushions, harnesses and Knee Ankle and Foot Orthoses (KAFOs). The people that work in the shop at Katalemwa can literally make just about anything out of local materials. They are fantastic! Here are some pictures to give you some insight to their shop and our time there!


The metals department at Katalemwa where they make the frames for walkers and wheelchairs

Leather department where they make custom shoes for people who have had polio and people with other foot  deformities

William at the sewing machine working on the harness I ordered

Plasters department where they make all sorts of braces for the ankle, trunk, and more
Akrim working on the KAFOs we had ordered for Clare


Here are some pictures from my trip with Clare this week to Katalemwa (one of 3 trips in 3 weeks)
A full car heading out of the school - two kids needed to visit the doctor which meant 5 in the back with a teacher in the bed of the truck and the nurse in the front seat.

Teacher Dan taking one for the team and riding in the back of the truck
Waiting in line with Clare - this is shortly before a women dropped her small child in my lap and then walked away..... Im sure she knew the language barrier was an issue (or feared I would say no).... thankfully she came back about 5 minutes later with tea. However, this was after the kid had finally stopped screaming perfusely because he probably had never been so close to a white person before and I was a little scary!

Clare reading her magazine like I was reading mine (note that it is upside down)
The final result of our 6 hour trip to Katalemwa
We also brought home a harness for Kato

A few other happenings from this week:
I had to say good bye to my good friend  Phiona this week, but thankfully it is not a forever good bye since she moved to Chicago!!!

Happy 4th of July! (I guess now it is the 5th)
I spent my day distributing wheelchairs to 26 people that are unable to move around by themselves

Sweet guy named Tobias

There were a few people from Northern Ireland there and they brought teddy bears for the kids - you can see how excited they were!

Finished the day with dinner made by Adrienne (she is Canadian so we did not have 4th food but it was still yummy!) and a walk by Lake Victoria
Lake Victoria
Have a great weekend and I hope everyone is enjoying summer!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog! I would love to hear any comments that you have :)