Friday, May 3, 2013

Life in Uganda: My Neighborhood

One of the questions I get asked most often about life here is what does my neighborhood look like. So.... I feel like I have finally built enough relationships with my friends that own little adukas (shops) that I felt comfortable to take photos. Teddy and I went on a walk the other day to take some photos for you. Teddy has lived at Kireka Home for over 20 year and literally knows everyone around.

The view of my street. The school is after the 4th building on the left
The building just to the right of the school. Where my friends Prossey and Margret have stores
Prossey's store - There are lots of little shops like this one all over. This is where I buy most of my vegetables and some fruit. Most Ugandans only shop at stores like this and the produce market
A closer view of Prossey's store

My friend Margret has the "Library" next to Prossey's store. She makes copies, you can pay to use the computer, and you can rent/buy movies. In order to make ends meet, Margret also sells a variety of other things including airtime (you buy minutes on your phone as you go), night dresses, and shoes.
You cannot bring your camera around and not take any pictures of the kids :) Angel, Matthew, (i dont know the next one) and Daniel - This might be one of my absolute favorite pictures!
'
There are roads around, but most people choose to walk on these "short cuts" that are everywhere between houses
Not the best picture..... but this is the road behind the school. It is also lined with a school, houses, and many small stores similar to Prossey's
This little produce stand is on the main road, so just a short walk. I just met Harriet recently, and now buy all of my avocados and bananas from her. She is very sweet. The main roads in Uganda are lined with little wood shops like this one. 
Harriet again, her neighbor was laughing at her while we were taking pictures!
This little boy in front is Ethero. He is one of the students at our school, so we call it Father Ethero's store. You can see behind Ethero all of those bags. They each hold rice, posho, beans, dried peas, and etc. They will then weigh out how much you order.

Another question I get asked frequently, is the neighborhood/school wheelchair friendly? The answer is absolutely not. You saw the paths between houses and they are very rough terrain. Plus with how much rain we receive there are large ditches on the side of every road (otherwise the road washes away). So it is very difficult to manever a wheelchair outside. However, I am thankful because all of the kids that I work with that use wheelchairs brought a chair home for the break! That NEVER happens, and most kids sit or lie on the floor for the whole break! Even if the area is not wheelchair friendly, it at least allows the child to more easily interact with those around them!

I hope that gives you a little bit better of an idea about where I live and what is around me! I still would love to show you all the busy roadside, the market, and the school grounds, but that will have to wait for a future post!


Other News
Peeps: My Grandma Kloet sent me Peeps for Easter.... the only way I like them is roasted like a normal marshmellow (Thanks to Michelle). So, I had some friends over and we roasted them over my gas stove :) On medical cotton swabs.... that is what I had.... Dont worry they were unused!! :)
Roasting the Peeps
Benitah and Desire very happy to enjoy their Peeps
Julie: I am very sad that my dear friend Julie went back to the States this week. Julie was an answer to pray.  I met her at orientation and we ended up both being called to Uganda. Julie was here for 6 months working at an orphanage, and now is back in Texas. I was very thankful to be able to enjoy the day with her on Tuesday before she headed home. I have mentioned Julie several times, you can read her blog here.
With julie at Matoke Inn

Pop Up: I was able to visit a new restaurant this week called Pop Up. It was very cute, AND it only employs people with disabilities. Please pray that we can partner with them to help get our students some more vocational training and potentially jobs!!!


Christine: One large prayer request when I came was that God would provide me with a good friend. Christine and Margret have very much become that. I just love them dearly and love when I get to spend time with them. We have been doing a Bible Study together which has been very encouraging! One of my favorite things with Christine has been watching the show Project Runway with her. It is so much fun because she is studying fashion and design so she understands all of the fashion things.
Walking home from Father Ethero's store with Christine

Last bit of news, my dad arrives on Sunday!!! I am so excited to show him around Uganda! So next week look to see how his visit is going!

Thanks as always for your love, support, and prayers. Each of you mean so much to me!



5 comments:

  1. I love your posts. Have a good time when your dad visits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these pictures, Laura! Thanks for posting. It is good to see what your neighborhood looks like! Glad your dad is coming to see you!
    Love and miss you,
    Geneva

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roasting Peeps? Have a great time with your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the glimpse! It helps me picture you and your life. I'll share with my kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the glimpse into your daily life! It helps me visualize where you are :) I'll share with my kids as we continue to pray for you! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I would love to hear any comments that you have :)