Friday, April 26, 2013

And it finally happened..

My initial title of this post was "A few random stories" and really that is what it is. BUT I have been waiting to see something for 7 months, and it finally happened! You will have to read all the way to the last story to find out what! (And its probably not what you are thinking, but I would love to hear your guesses!)



Story #1: God is Good!
Praise the Lord, within a few days of my computer crashing, another missionary was able to sell me an extra brand new computer that they had!!! So back to blogging weekly :)
The message on my computer when you turn it on :( If anyone at home would like to try to restore everything on my hard drive... just let me know :)
Story #2: Saying Goodbye
So we were suppose to end school on May 3rd..... well I am not sure what happened, but Sunday I found out that in fact we were breaking TODAY! With all of my computer problems, I had hardly started writing my reports on the 24 kids that I see. Needless to say, it has been a crazy week! My favorite part of the day today was when Sumaya was able to show her mom how we have been practicing walking. Two weeks ago, we were able to get Sumaya a "trial" walker to see how it would go. Sumaya is now 13 and cannot use her hands to hold onto a walker, so we had to get a custom built walker to fit under her arms. Today, we showed Sumaya's mom what we have been doing and her mom helped her walk around with the walker. It was such a blessing to see such huge smiles of joy on both Sumaya's and her mother's faces. Please pray that they can come up with the money to buy the walker.
The photo of Sumaya using the walker got lost with my old computer. But here is one from this week, I just LOVE this girl. Her walker can be seen behind her.
Story #3: Lesson in Luganda on my Handwriting
So.... everyone knows I do not hold a pen properly. My mom will tell you that she tried to teach me and my kindergarten teacher told her I would grow out of it.... and yet here I am at 26 still holding my pencil like a 3 year old. Anyways I can write and that is what I think matters, and if you ask I do know how to hold it correctly! Back to the story, there is a new student Mercy who is constantly talking to me in Luganda. I am constantly trying to tell her that I do not know Luganda... and we have not yet met in the middle.. until this week. I was busy writing my notes from the day when Mercy came up and started yelling at me in Luganda, I quickly figured out what she was saying by her hand gestures.... She was pretending to hold a pencil correctly and then waving her arms and pretending to grip a pencil with her whole hand! This sweet girl was trying to correct me :) (Still didn't work though mom!)

Story #4: Movies in Africa... and where do they come from?
In Uganda you cannot (without paying an outrageous amount) buy a movie. However, there are little stores that sell almost any movie or TV show you can imagine for $1 to $2. I have no idea how these people get their copies... but they do.... and truthfully I am glad. On Tuesday night I was watching the a "movie theater copy" of the movie "Safe Haven". By movie theater copy I mean that someone literally brought in a video camera to a theater and recorded the whole movie.. you can usually hear people laughing and commenting along with seeing the occasional head bob up in front of the camera. (Not going to lie it is super annoying... but what can you do?) Well with about 2 minutes left in the movie... it switched to being a spanish version! (Or at least I think it was Spanish) How does that even happen; especially when it was filmed in a movie theater???????? They must have some how combined two pirated versions of the movie. Who does that???

Story #5: Birthday Cake
It was my little friend Matthew's birthday last Friday. His mom and I had planned to bake a cake together for him, but we could not find an oven to use... so I baked it at a friend's and we celebrated on Monday. Matthew and his friends were so excited!!! They were all sad though that I would only let them have one piece. They do not get baked goods often, so I didnt want to give their little belly's stomachaches! It was so sweet though because these kids are good about sharing everything! They have grown up together as their mom's run two neighboring shops and they are inseparable. While the other kids got up to wash their hands, I gave Matthew a little bit extra cake. When they came back, he fed each of them another bite of his cake!
Matthew so excited for his cake!
The neighborhood kids with Margret - (L to R) Daniel, Daniella, Margret, Matthew, Angel

Daniella's usual "deer in head lights" look :) She is just so sweet. Initially she was so scared of me, and now she lights up every time I come around!
Story #6: I can't believe it finally happened!!!!
In Uganda, most people wear used clothing from western countries. I have seen some obvious stuff from the USA: US Postal services polo, Team USA basketball jersey, Illini hoodie, Cubs shirt, but the icing on the cake happened today. A boda driver came today to pick up one of our students, and under his half zipped up jacket, I could see the top of the Indian head. I was SO excited, I asked him to show me his shirt and sure enough it was a Hawks jersey (no name on the back though). I acted like a crazy person asking if I could take his photo and then made him wait while I ran to my house to get my camera. For the record, he has absolutely no clue who the Blackhawks are or what ice hockey is :) I didnt mind! I have heard that they ship the ready made clothes for the losing team in a championship game to Africa is well. My new goal is to see a 2010 Philidelphia Flyers Stanley Cup Champions shirt! (Because that is the year they lost to the Hawks). So.... probably not what you all expected, but if you know me well, Im sure you are not surprised!

Sorry there is no meet the kids section this week! Ill work on that for next week. Thank you all so much for your prayers last week, all of my sick friends are doing much better! Be praying for more consistent electricity... it is driving me CRAZY! And I updated a few more prayer requests on the right.

As always thank you so much for your prayers, love, and support!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog! I would love to hear any comments that you have :)