Friday, December 21, 2012

GSF Orphanage & Christmas Cookies



"I will praise you, O Lord, among the nations; I will sing of you among the peoples. For great is your love, reaching to the heavens; your faithfulness reaches to the skies" 
- Psalm 57:9 & 10

I read from Psalms every morning and this verse really stuck out to me this week. One thing I have been learning here is how great God's love and faithfulness are. God is just so good!

Good Shephards Fold Orphanage http://www.goodshepherdsfold.org/

This past week I went to Jinja (about a hour and a half or so from Kampala) to visit Good Shephards Fold Orphanage. GSF is a partner organization to AIM, and they currently have 2 AIM nurses volunteering for them. They have 92 children that live there, 12 of which have disabilities. The have another 200+ children that come to school there. They are currently partnering with Katie Davis (remember her from the book "Kisses from Katie"?) to build a secondary school at a different location.

I spent last Thursday and Friday working with their Ugandan occupational therapist who comes everyday to the school to work on self care, activities of daily living such as washing, and also does quite a bit of physical therapy as he is all they have. Joseph does an excellent job, and I was able to give him a few more ideas for his children with physical disabilities.

This is Kenny, he is 3 years old and is very involved with cerebral palsy. He is the sweetest little boy!!!!

This is Matthew, he has hemiplegic cerebral palsy. While he primarily moves around by crawling he is practicing his walking skills in therapy.

Meet Kathy (on the left) and Lily (on the right) They both have mental disabilties and Kathy also has some physical deformities in her feet. They are so sweet, here Lily is helping Kathy hang her laundry on the line
I spent Saturday and Sunday hanging out with Julie & Dayna (the two AIM nurses). You all met Julie a few weeks ago when she was in Kampala with a sick child - she is also the one I went to orientation with. It was a very relaxing weekend, we went into Jinja and got our nails done (very VERY affordable here... $8 for a manicure and pedicure) and then went out to a cute cafe. We then ended up at looking over the Nile at Adrift. They do lots of adventurous activities here but for us we just watched :)
With Julie at The Source Cafe - Anyone get it... Jinja is the Source of the Nile :) (That is a Jill Hushka joke) they also use their business to help provide freshwater sources to people. 
We even had milkshakes!!! - with Dayna (I was so excited, I have not had ice cream is sooooo long!)
Someone Bungee jumping at Adrift over the Nile

We hiked down to the Nile - there was a strict no swimming policy.... you would have to pay me LOTS of money to jump into the Nile!!!!

















Showing off my silver sparkly nails.... they do not quite match my Chacos!
With Dayna and Julie
I just liked this picture :)
Update at the School
This are pretty slow here as I only have 3 kids to see, but it is nice in that I have caught up on e-mails, had more time with the kids, and can do some other things. One really nice thing is the kids have decided they like to read a Bible story every day! It has been a very sweet time that I hope continues once school resumes. I also had time to go to my friend Cassandra's house and make Christmas cookies. I made sugar cookies to share with everyone at the school and also some yummy molasses cookies. Most of the traditional cookies at home we do not have the ingredients for here :(
Our cookies
Emilly, Christine and Ronald all had blue dye on their frosting.... it was very funny!
Jeremiah also wanted to show me his green (and cookie filled) tongue
The kids wanted to show off their shading (coloring)
Teddy coloring

Well, that is all for this week. I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas with your families. I am definitely missing mine very much!!! But my mom comes January 16th so I am starting to count down the days!


                          Merry Christmas!