Friday, December 28, 2012

Christmas in Uganda

So Christmas was quite different this year. It was so strange to not be with my family. I missed them all very much! I am very thankful for skype, youtube, and facebook pictures so I don't feel like I completely missed out. I am also thankful that God sent his son to earth to live with us. It truly is the best gift one could ever receive!

In Uganda instead of taking off on Christmas Eve and Christmas, people get Christmas and Boxing day off. Since there is not much going on at the school I ended up taking four days off to just relax a little bit. I stayed with my friend Cassandra and we enjoyed relaxing! On Christmas Eve, we got everything we needed for Christmas and then had a game night with our friends the Howley's that run the AIM guest house in Kampala. On Christmas we stayed in our pjs all day, watched Christmas movies and ate comfort food from America. On Boxing Day we had planned to go swimming, but of course the one day that it is rainy ALL day in Uganda. And on the 27th we went and hung out at the Kajjansi Airfield. A volunteer for the AIM office's husband is a pilot at the airstrip.

Christmas morning in front of Cassandra's tree

Cassandra got TWO stockings

Cassandra's cat Mally enjoyed playing in the gift wrappings

Christmas morning breakfast - cinnamon rolls, bacon, and coffee with peppermint creamer (yes the creamer and cinnamon rolls are made from scratch)

Tacos on Chapati - tortillas are non-existent here. Same with taco seasoning, it has to be brought over from the States

Sign for Kajjansi Airfield

Yes that plane holds 4 people :)

The company Janice's husband works for. There are 3 companies that share the airstrip

In front of the yellow plane - apparently when Museveni (the president) was running for election the plane would fly over the city broadcasting his advertisements

Picnic in the airplane hanger

Watching planes take off
I almost forgot, before the Christmas festivities started I attended a graduation party of two of the sons of one of the teachers at the school. I was able to wear my traditional Ugandan gomez again. Graduation parties are very different here. It was a sit down occasion with LOTS of speeches and we showed up 2 hours late. 
WIth Teacher Rhona

Sorry that is not the most exciting post ever, but it sums up the week. Please be praying for plans to unfold smoothly for January. Happy New Year!