Friday, December 7, 2012

Bugs, Rain & Rugby

Sooooo... this week has been quite interesting and frustrating, but at the same time very uneventful :)

Timeline of the week:
Saturday: returned from the village and discovered basket bugs and bean bugs
Sunday: Returned from church, exterminated the basket bugs and scrubbed my house, thought I had a major gecko problem from all of the poo I found
Monday: Discovered rice bugs and termites
Tuesday: Discovered that I did not have a gecko problem, but instead a MOUSE problem! And scrubbed my house again. Saw 4 children in our neighborhood to start the Community Outreach Program we will be doing over holiday breaks
Wednesday: Went to another wheelchair distribution at Mukisa Foundation
Thursday: Went to a fundraiser for Mukisa Foundation
Friday: Enjoyed the kids having rugby lessons..... and still have not figured out how to kill the termites

So all that being said... I sadly do not have a lot more to add.... it has been a very interesting week. So with that I am going to share my favorite verse with you and share some pictures from the week. I promise to step up my game with the blog updates next week! My favorite verse is Psalm 73:23-24: "Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory." There is so much more to those verses in the whole context of the Psalm, but my point is I am so thankful that God is here with me holding my hand. When the bugs seem almost more than I can handle... I know that God is here with me and the bugs... and the mouse.
Christmas Decorations! I have no Christmas tree, so the doorway works for hanging ornaments!
My star garland hanging above the door to my bathroom
Thursday morning Teddy (on the right) had hurt her knee and didn't want to do exercises because of the pain. So instead we painted finger nails! Even Ronald (next to Teddy).... I couldn't convince him that boys don't do nail polish so he got a thin coat of light pink!
With my friend Cassandra at the Mukisa Foundation fundraiser. It was a night of REALLY good music. We enjoyed it. Mukisa Foundation is a non-profit organization that helps families of children with special needs. One of the co-founders Florence is a Ugandan physiotherapist that I love dearly and am so thankful to have to ask questions of! I enjoyed spending the day before with her fitting wheelchairs for her children along with Fathers Heart Mobility who I mentioned last week.
Rugby Team Photo: 6 kids that have gone home or live in the community joined us for this special day and tomorrow we go into town to show off our new rugby skills!
Doing some warm-up stretches led by one of the older boys Kato (3rd person in)
Kato running with the ball
Teddy holding the ball..... I think she was posing for me in this picture...  and then got in trouble from the coach for not paying attention :)

The kids did many drills to work on learning to only pass the ball backwards
Taking a break on the merry-go-round
The little boy running with the ball is named Matthias. I just met him this week during our community outreach program. He is 9 years old (the boy next to him is 8 years old) and is going to be of short-stature. He unfortunately developed what I believe to be a disease called Rickets Disease in later childhood. His knees are severely deformed and bend inwards. He has visited doctors in the past year and they have said there is nothing they can do for him. This boy is VERY smart and athletic despite all of these things. Please be praying for wisdom for doctors as I refer him to one more place and be praying for his family as his older brother has severe cerebral palsy and lots of complications.
What did I do during rugby? While I was dressed to play, I ended up keeping the small children off the field and taking pictures!
I almost forgot! Funny Story of the Week!
Thursday I went to meet Casssandra for the fundraiser. No sooner did  I get on the boda boda (motorcycle) with my trusted boda driver, Solango, that is started to rain. When Solango offered to pull over I said no its ok lets make it to Lugogo shopping center since. Lugogo is about 1/4th of the way to Cassandra's house and since I had to stop at the bank there anyways I thought it was a good idea.... I should have known. So then the rain picked up and next thing I knew we were both COMPLETELY drenched and just laughing... because what else can you do! And next thing we know a large truck comes flying by and like a scene straight out of a movie just sprays mud all over us.... and again we both just laughed. Whelp... we made it to Lugogo and no sooner did I make it to the overhanging roof that another muzungo (white person) stopped to stare and churckle at me,  (everyone else just stared) and then proceeded to say "Wow you are wet". Thank you for stating the obvious! I proceeded to make a puddle on the ground in the store that I went into while I waited for the rain to clear. Life lesson learned: when you boda driver offers to pull over... LISTEN!

Thanks so much for your continued prayers. I am so encouraged every time I get a message from someone saying they are praying for me. You have no idea how much I appreciate this! I literally see prayers answered everyday and I am so thankful for all of my prayer partners!