Friday, March 29, 2013

Wheelchairs and the good 'ol USA

Alright, so the title of this post does not remotely capture all of the excitement of the week, but on Tuesday, I had the privilege of both fitting my kids in new wheelchairs and visiting the US Embassy. It was a great day!

Visiting the Embassy
The most fantastic part of my time there was when I thought about the fact that I was technically standing on ground owned my the USA... yes I teared up a little bit. I am so happy and content with what God has me doing, but I miss my home!!! It was a really great time of hearing from the consulate office about what services they offer US citizens, hearing from the head of security, and hearing from Ambassador DeLisi about how the US is partnering with Uganda. And I can tell you that unlike most of our European friends.... the US has been much smarter about how they have invested money in Uganda! We closed our time there with homemade chocolate chips cookies made by the consulate office. I have a little beef with our government though, in that embassy workers can get food and other things overnighted to them from the US with no extra cost to them (AKA the rest of us pay for it). So things like chocolate chips are not a big deal to them.. but the rest of us were Oh So HAPPY to enjoy them!
The US Embassy - Beautiful but HEAVILY guarded outside. You cannot see any of this from the road.
Ambassador DeLisi speaking to us. Cameras, Phones, Water bottles - EVERYTHING had to be left outside... this is the photo from Ambassador DeLisi's Facebook Page, and my head is on the far left!!!! In case you are confusing me with the gray haired man..  I am in the purple polka dot dress with my hair up :)
After leaving the Embassy, I went with some AIM friends out to an Ethiopian restaurant! I am here with my friend Amanda, another short termer
Praise the Lord for More Wheelchairs!!!
At the school we have 6 children that use wheelchairs. Two of them have very good wheelchairs, two have their own chairs but they do not remotely fit them correctly, and the last two have school chairs that they have outgrown. Four of the kids were on a list to get new wheelchairs from Fathers Heart Mobility (the organization I worked with last week) in August. Well, we had extra wheelchairs from last week, and Francis said that we could take four of them now! Praise the Lord!

The school truck loaded to bring the wheelchairs home
Low and behold we ended up with 5 wheelchairs. Kato had his own nice wheelchair, and over the weekend his completely fell apart. We are hoping to get it repaired, but it doesn't look good :( The school put him in a fold-able chair that they had, but poor Kato had to hold onto the back to keep himself from falling out. Kato is completely dependent on his wheelchair not only for mobility, but just to sit in class. He cannot sit by himself, so his wheelchair is essential. God's timing could not have been better for getting these new chairs!!!

Kato in his temporary chair... can you see how he is holding on?
Kato in his new wheelchair - He was SOOOO Happy!!!
Sumaya in her old chair... her feet dragged on the ground when she was pushed, so she had to be leaned back. She clearly had outgrown this chair!
Sumaya is very happy in her new chair! And her feet don't touch the ground!

Sunna had a small chair like Sumaya's but one of the front wheels fell off. Since then he was put in this one, and it is also just way to big for him and it is not very supportive.

Sunna in his new chair giving me a high five. He cannot verbally communicate, but he communicates with noises and hand gestures... he made it clear that he was VERY VERY happy!

Maria is one that is in her own chair, but it is far to big and her feet do not reach the foot plates. Nor is the chair supportive enough for her. She does not have her own wheelchair at home, so we are going to send her old wheelchair home so she at least has something when she is on holiday from school. But when she leaves the school her new wheelchair will be hers to keep
Maria in her new chair.. it fits so nice!!!
Vicky in her new chair (I forgot an old chair pictures). Her story is similar to Maria's and now she can sit properly in her chair!
 Thank you Francis and Adrienne and the people that donated the money for the chairs!!!!


A little randomness from the week!

Unfortunately I did not take this photo, it is from my friend Amanda... but I have seen this and have been wanting a picture. In case you are confused... those are all chickens!
Why is there a stick in the windshield? That is what I asked the school driver. Apparently it is for when cattle refuse to leave the road and when boda boda drivers get a little obnoxious!
Our new friend Ibram started at the school this year. Behind him on the wall are the crosses I decorated with each of my kids as we get ready to celebrate Easter!
I have not had geckos in my house for awhile, and now I have two again. I caught this one, only to take a picture and then he got away. I think he is kind of cute!!!
My 3 favorite girls: Lucky, Sumaya, and Doris wanted to have a photo shoot! This was my favorite one!
I always joke that I have the best family ever, and I stand by that being true. I have received so many cards and packages, it just shows me your support and I could not be more thankful! My Aunt Jill deserves some recognition for her creativity in what she can get in an envelope without paying any extra money. My favorite item to date... pretty Band-Aids :) The get well soon card I got this week from her also rocks... "Just in case you are sick" :)
 I think that is all for this week. We have a 4 day weekend as Uganda recognizes both Good Friday and the Monday after Easter as national holidays! (USA... you need to work on that!) As always, thank you all so much for your support and prayers! I could not do what I am doing without each one of you!

Much Love,


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog! I would love to hear any comments that you have :)