Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Mom's Visit - Part 1

Hello everyone-
My mom is here and we are in the far southwestern corner of Uganda enjoying a break from life on safari! With some persuasion, I have convinced my mom to guest post on my blog this week about her time in Kampala, and then I will post as usual on Friday about our safari. Warning: there are LOTS of pictures!

Kampala - boda rides, busyness, and traffic
 What a busy city!  Traffic is terrible.  I would never want to drive here. The easiest way to get around is on a Boda. They dart in and out of traffic along side of the cars and on the eedge of the road.  I did a lot of praying that we would arrive safely. My final ride was to church.  I held on for my life, when we arrived my hands were beat red and they hurt.  Not my way of traveling.
On the boda boda with Laura's driver Solango
Places We Have Experienced - Mainly Shopping :)
Sseko Sandals Factory - Great company - you can check them out here
Ssekos was a Great factory. They employ women who make the sandals all by hand. The women do this to earn money so they can further their education.  We also went shopping downtown and I got to buy African fabric.  I see a quilt in the future. From there we visited the African Craft Market. This was an experience as you have to barter with the shop owners. Not my way of shopping but I did get the hang of it. They use the shilling and I still have no idea what it is in dollars. 

At the Craft Market
We shopped at this little shop that turns old bottles into beautiful glass pieces
We visiting many fabric stores in town - many were floor to ceiling with fabrics like this one
Out to lunch with Laura and some friends from AIM
Laura's Life at the School
The children LOVE Teacher Laura! I don't  know how she has any quiet time.  The children she works with have severe disabilities. I wonder if they had been born in America and had help when they were first born if they would be in the condition they are in today.  The school did not look how I thought it would, it was much  smaller than I thought.  Laura failed to tell my about the chickens that walk around everything,  The teachers I meet seemed to care for their students and to help them learn how to fend for themselves.  I will send the tailoring teacher some quilt patterns that they can make into bags that they will sell at the school. They have sewing machines like my  Kenosha Grandma used to. The machines have no power!  Laura does have power in her house and an indoor bathroom.  However, she has not hot water for her shower so she takes bucket baths. In order to get hot water, she has to heat it on her burner.  She has much more patience then I have.
Working with Tobias
Writing notes - there are always children around that want to help
Working with Teddy
Laura with Jeremiah - one of the teacher's kids

Esther - one of the teacher's kids - that called mom "jaja" or Grandma
Giving the kids the pictures that we printed out in the States of them - they were very excited
The tailoring room - the more advanced students learn tailoring to use as a career after graduation
Teacher Christine the tailoring teacher showing off one of the bags the students have made
Laura in her kitchen that is outside - off the front porch
All vegetables bought are cleaned well with soap &/or bleach to kill anything on the outside

Visiting the Village
We visited a lady named Janet (The head teacher at the school's mother) who taught us how to make paper beads.  It is much harder then it looks. While she was doing that her family prepared a Ugandan meal. It really was quite good. These people work very hard for what they have. She was so proud of her house and everything she had done herself.  She made her own bricks, put a toilet in over the latrine, and was building a chicken coop so she could raise and sell them. Janet loves my daughter and it is nice having people look out for her.

Janet showing us how to make paper beads
Trying very hard to learn - our fingers got sore
With Janet outside her house
I am very proud of my daughter Laura. She has moved across the world to work with these children and has given up everything we all think is necessary and has made a very nice life for herself.  She has made some very nice friends and for that I am truly grateful.  The children she works with enjoy and love her.  I pray that when she leaves she will see the difference she has made in their lives with God's help.  Please continue to lift her up in your prayers.  Her Mom  Carol


Well, thats all for now, check back Friday for my update on the week!